2016 #bethelgives Campaign Summary
The #bethelgives coalition and Bethel Community Services Foundation are thrilled to announce the successful completion of Bethel’s first #bethelgives campaign. Lasting approximately two weeks, with several associated events, the campaign raised more than $24,000.
The aim of the #bethelgives campaign, a local spinoff of #GivingTuesday, was to offer the Bethel and YK Delta community increased opportunities to support local organizations as we all prepare for winter and the holiday season. Events included opportunities to donate to local organizations at Saturday Market and local stores, a Fill the Stocking drive at Watson’s Corner, the Give+Get drawing and a Giving Wish Book outlining needs of local organizations that is available in printed form and online.
Nine local Bethel organizations were represented in the 2016 #bethelgives coalition – Bethel Search and Rescue, Yuut Elitnaurviat, TWC, KYUK, Bethel Family Clinic, Bethel Council on the Arts, the YK Delta Lifesavers, Bethel Friends of Canines and the Winter House Shelter. According to Reyne Athanas of the Bethel Council on the Arts, “These funds will really give a boost to each of the organizations and it is good to know that the community as a whole supports these nonprofits.”
In addition to the generosity of Bethel citizens, numerous Bethel and Alaska-based corporate partners were instrumental in the success of the #bethelgives campaign. Cash and in-kind donations, opportunities for the public to make pledges and cash-match programs were provided to the campaign by Bethel Community Services Foundation, Bethel Native Corporation, Bethel Pho Thai, ConocoPhillips AK, Delta Discovery, Donlin Gold, First National Bank Alaska, Long House Hotel, Mexkimo Tacos, Sammy’s Market, Swanson’s Grocery, Vitus Energy, YPCC Art Guild, YPCC Coffee Cart and the YPCC Saturday Market.
This was a first-time collaborative fundraising effort, which provided an opportunity for staff, volunteers and board members from various organizations to work closely together. “The #bethelgives campaign was a lot of fun!” said Eileen Arnold of the Tundra Women’s Coalition. “Working together towards a common goal felt good and it delivered good results! Thanks to the entire community for making this happen.” This sentiment was shared by Gerry Graves, a board member of the Bethel Family Clinic. “It brought me so much joy to be a part of #BethelGives, living in a community that truly cares and gives. Thank you for giving.”
If you are interested in learning more about the #bethelgives campaign or would like to look at the 2016-2017 Giving Wish Book, please visit www.bcsfoundation.org or contact Lisa Whalen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-545-1855.
FROM: BETHEL COMMUNITY SERVICES FOUNDATION
RE: #bethelgives CAMPAIGN
Bethel Community Services Foundation announces the launch of the #bethelgives campaign, sponsored by the Bethel Community Services Foundation and nine local nonprofit organizations.
The aim of #bethelgives is to offer the Bethel and YK Delta community increased opportunities to support local organizations as we all prepare for winter and the holiday season – a time of great generosity and great need.
The nine #bethelgives groups are:Bethel Search and Rescue, Yuut Elitnaurviat, TWC, KYUK, Bethel Family Clinic, Bethel Council on the Arts, the YK Delta Lifesavers, Bethel Friends of Canines and the Winter House Shelter.
#bethelgives is an extension of a national and international campaign – #GivingTuesday – which encourages people all over the world to follow the shopping mayhem of Black Friday and Cyber Monday with generosity that changes lives in their own local communities. On #GivingTuesday, people around the U.S.A. and world will share their time, talents and treasure with their neighbors in need, often through local organizations.
#bethelgives has several components:
- The #bethelgives Giving Wish Book: The Wish Book is one component of the #Bethel Gives campaign. BCSF is thrilled to partner with amazing organizations that are part of the fabric of our local community. We encourage people to help improve our community by considering donating – either tangible items or cash gifts – to one or more of the organizations listed in the Wish Book. The Wish Book is online at bcsfoundation.org and at the websites of participating organizations. Physical copies of the book can be found at all participating organizations and at cash registers and customer service desks throughout Bethel.
- #bethelgives will be at the Saturday Market on November 26. At the market, staff, board and volunteers of BCSF and the nine participating organizations will take turns staffing a #bethelgives table, with options for donors to contribute to any of the nine individual participating organizations, to purchase the gift of a contribution to an organization for a holiday gift, to learn more about any of the nine organizations or to sign up for volunteer opportunities.
- #bethelgives will be at Watson’s Corner at lunch and after work on Giving Tuesday (November 29). We will collect contributions for the #bethelgives campaign.
- #bethelgives has partnered with several businesses who wish for help further the reach of the campaign and support the good works of the organizations. Customers of Swanson’s will be able to make a $1, $5, or $10 contribution at the cash register from November 18 through Giving Tuesday, November 29. Customers of Sammy’s Market will be able to make a contribution on #GivingTuesday, which Sammy’s Market will match dollar-for-dollar.
- Mexkimo Tacos will participate on #GivingTuesday.
- The vendor fees collected from table rentals at the November 26 Saturday Market will be donated to #bethelgives.
- The gift shop at the cultural center and the coffee cart at the cultural center will offer customers the opportunity to donate to #bethelgives.
- FNBA will match the first $100 of pledges made to the #bethelgives campaign.
- Wells Fargo will provide a contribution to the #bethelgives campaign.
- We expect other businesses to partner with #bethelgives as #GivingTuesday approaches.
Pledges to the campaign can be made via phone at 545-8483 or online at bcsfoundation.org. Monetary contributions to the campaign at Swanson’s or via the website, phone or at Watson’s Corner will be split evenly amongst the participating organizations. Contributions made at Saturday Market can allocated to specific individual organizations OR the campaign as a whole. Donations of Wish Book items will be collected at the Saturday Market on November 26 or by contacting the participating agency directly.
#bethelgives planning committee members: Jon Cochrane, Eileen Arnold, Gerry Graves, Sam Samuelson, Reyne Athanas, Jeremy Osborne, Zach Fansler, Bev Hoffman and Jesslyn Elliott. Contact info for the planning committee can be given upon request.