Please click HERE for a printable application!
Best in the West Small Business Competition
First Round Application
Return completed applications by post, email or fax to:
Best In The West Competition
PO Box 368 Bethel, AK 99559
ATTN: Reyne Athanas; 543-4538; email@example.com
Fax: (907) 543-4539
Submitting this application will be the first step in the Best of the West Competition. Your application should reflect the essence of your idea.
Important: Applicants can submit only one Best in the West Application.
- Must reside in Yukon-Kuskokwim region year round.
- Must be 18 years old or have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Limit of 2 wins for a person and/or a business with a gap year between applications, (wins).
The Best in the West Application
Applications with incomplete contact information will be disqualified.
Complete ALL information in Sections 1–7.
1. Proposed Business Name: (Maximum 12 Words) Required
2. Contact Information (Required)
Please enter all relevant information.
Contact Person’s Title:
City or Town:
3. Competition Eligibility (Required)
A. Participant must be a resident of Alaska. Check at least one box for residency verification.
Alaska Driver’s License (please circle):
Alaska State ID Card (please circle):
B. Participant must certify that they have no judgments against them that would require surrendering all or a portion of the award to a third party.
I certify that there are no judgments against me (please circle):
C. My project will benefit rural southwestern Alaska residents.
For purposes of the competition “rural southwestern Alaska” does not include Anchorage, Fairbanks, Homer, Juneau, Ketchikan, Palmer, Wasilla, Kenai and Soldotna. Your primary residence must be located in the Yukon-Kuskokwim region (please circle).
D. Can your project be executed within 12 months (please circle)?
4. Competition Winners (Required)
If I am awarded, I agree to do the following:
A. Participate in evaluation activities, receive mentoring and technical assistance during the award year (please circle).
B. Award funds are for the Best in the West Winner and not transferable to another party (please circle).
C. Report my Awards funds to the Internal Revenue Service, as they are taxable income to the winner and as such will be reported to the Internal Revenue Service (please circle).
5. Personal Data
A. Birth Date: (Required)
B. Gender: (Optional; please circle)
C. Are you a first time business owner (please circle)?
Name of previously owned business, if applicable:
6. Competition Criteria
The competition criteria listed below are applicable to the Partners in Growth theme. Your proposal must answer the criteria questions by which all applications will be judged.
- Benefit to Rural Alaska Communities — Depending on your organizational structure, please address the following:
- Business Idea – Economic Stimulation/Job Creation. Your Business Idea must contribute towards economic stimulation and job creation in the targeted community. Please include the where, when, who, why and how, as related to your business idea. (250 word maximum)
- Sustainability/Profitability. Your proposal must show how your business can continue to operate and benefit the targeted community beyond the period of the award: Business Ideas must ALSO show how they can be profitable beyond the period of the award. (250 word maximum)
- Financially Feasible. Your idea needs to be financially feasible to survive in today’s business market. Please submit an estimate of expenses for one year. Include the approximate amount being requested. The selection committee understands that this is NOT your final budget, just an estimate. (250 word maximum)
7. Estimated Amount Requested: $
Business Idea – Economic Stimulation/Job Creation (Maximum 250 words – Required)
Sustainability/Profitability: (Maximum 250 Words – Required)
Financially Feasible: (Maximum 250 words – Required)
Open First Round Applications: December 1, 2017
Small Business/Entrepreneurial Workshops: Two workshops dates to be announced in December and January (Mandatory attendance, audio conference for villages)
First Round Submission Deadline: January 26, 2018
Applications to Selection Committee: January 27-31, 2018
Finalists Notified and Announced: February 1, 2018
Small Business/Entrepreneurial Workshops: Two workshops dates to be announced in February and March (Mandatory attendance, audio conference for villages)
Finalists Business Plan Submission Deadline: March 19, 2018
In Person Finalists Presentations to Selection Committee: March 23, 2018
Winners Announced: March 23, 2018
Application must be submitted to (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax 907-543-4539 or mailed to YPCC Best in the West Competition, Kuskokwim Campus, PO Box 368, Bethel, AK 99559 or hand delivered to Reyne Athanas at Yupiit Piciryarait Cultural Center in Bethel, AK.
Sponsoring and Invited Partners:
UAF Kuskokwim Campus & Yupiit Piciryarait Cultural Center, Bethel Community Services Foundation, Donlin Gold LLC, Calista Corporation, Coastal Village Regional Fund, Bethel Native Corporation, First National Bank, Wells Fargo Bank, Bethel Chamber of Commerce, Kuskokwim Art Guild, ConocoPhillips, GCI and British Petroleum